This seems to be the appropriate time to write about an event from this fall. It’s Christmas time and everyone has either been eating, thinking of eating, or cooking. So this post fits.
First off I have to refer to “Oven-Fried Chicken” on page 107-108 in The Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV SHOW Cookbook 2001-2014. This is the recipe that my version of “Fiasco Chicken” is based upon.
The recipe is fairly easy, and definitely delicious. My eldest son says it is the best chicken I have ever made. Then again, he is mid thirties and hasn’t lived near home until recently, I could have made better and his memory is basically from childhood, so there’s that.
This was a Sunday after church, and we were hungry, so I dove right in because I didn’t it would take long and the ingredient list was short.
. . .
Unfortunately, I didn’t have the required buttermilk. No buttermilk, but I had milk and lemon juice so I could make a substitute. Or, so I thought, turns out I didn’t have the amount of milk that the recipe needed, three cups. I only had two. Ah, but I did have dry milk, which around here we use as coffee creamer. Stop and make dry milk, then make the cup of dry and two of regular milk into buttermilk.
Do you see where this is going?
The chicken needed to refrigerate uncovered for two to three hours in the buttermilk mixture. So at now at quarter to twelve, I am recognizing that this is dinner, and we are hungry and expecting to eat a completed meal within the hour.
While making sandwiches to feed hungry bellies, I read the rest of the recipe (as I should have done the night before) and realize we are now short on bread crumbs due to the sandwiches made using several slices of the last loaf bread on had. The recipe calls for a box of Melba toast, but when I glanced at it initially I thought, “Oh, toast some bread and smash it in a ziplock bag and we’re good.” Yes, if there had been enough toasted bread smashed to equivalent to five ounces. There wasn’t now, after eating the sandwiches and toasting the few slices left, they gave me about two ounces. I found a box of bread crumbs that hadn’t expired and the last of some nut/flake cereal that I tossed in to make up the weight difference. There was now a mixture of dry grain stuffs totaling five ounces.
After all this and the soaking of the chicken, came the mess of dipping the chicken into the “breadcrumb” seasoning mix. I had quite the chaotic messy kitchen to clean while the chicken was in the oven: mixing bowls, the pan for the kitchen scale, the dishes and knife from making lunch sandwiches, etc.
I sat down exhausted to a plate of oven fried chicken and instant mash taters and tomato slices. Expecting everyone to be disappointed after all the mess and mix up, I was pleasantly surprised that even with it taking all afternoon to mix and fix, Sunday supper turned out delicious.Fi