So based on a party website that is touting my children’s books snowball I could’ve made $2,000, that is if I had gotten a mere dollar of profit from each download they profess. That would’ve helped pay for the necessities of needed during this recovery time.
While taking a step back from the picture book projects, I stumbled upon hand-lettering. I was thinking about how the final book would look and what I could do to make it easier to read.
Size as well as the font itself can make a difference in how the story sits on the page, adding or reducing the level of difficulty of the story itself. Also placement of the words on the page can affect the story pacing and aid in it being enjoyable. (I have struggled with a book which will remain nameless due to the size of the type and font. The content is compelling material, but I can only struggle with the mechanics of trying to read for so long before I get a headache.)
Small details that I had planned on looking into later in the final process are what I have been doing the convalescence of “the broken arm.” Trying to make good use of my down time this summer, making decisions on whether to use black and white or color drawings.
Little details that might have been made in haste to hurry up and get the project finished. Maybe I am learning patience? Could be.
One day before I broke my arm, too lazy to go to the grocery to get pasta and sauce, the sweltering heat index in the triple digits and all the makings from scratch were found in the kitchen. I set to work. Halfway through I found the makings for meatballs, so those were made, too.
It was easier than I thought, thanks to watching all the PBS cooking shows that morning. They had me craving pasta and tomato sauce but they didn’t tell me about how much space it took to dry the pasta. Halfway through the cutting of the pasta, I was figuring out how to hang it in the oven. (Remove one rack completely and use the other to hang the pasta.) My husband was pleasantly surprised when dinnertime rolled around that night.
In the coming weeks I hope to give that another try, after my arm is healed for dough rolling. We still have one bag of pasta in the freezer, maybe this weekend we can boil some up for a meal, while I wait.
Art work on the picture book projects has stalled. This physically limiting setback is temporary, but has given me a different perspective at editing.
I have set aside time to start working on artwork, even if it means getting everything ready and set up, only to put it away again. Starting somewhere, is part of making those activities habits.
I hope to at least draw a line, mix a color, one extra thing before I put it away. Starting a habit, I remind myself, begins with one small step at a time.